Thursday, December 20, 2007

Typing quietly & listening thru headphones

because son Chris is still asleep in futon behind me. Cold cup of coffee at my elbow, and I'm eating a bowl of oatmeal cooked with cranberry juice instead of water--yummy! I had a bowl of oatmeal in Nebraska City Nebraska one morning last September made with apple juice, and it woke me up. Since then I've never cooked oatmeal with water. And microwave oatmeal is AWFUL!

Good morning to all who might read this, and Merry Christmas.

For the past couple of days I've been listening to George "Wild Child" Butler's cd "Sho' 'Nuff" (Acoustic Sounds, 2001). He has a unique voice, but these past few days it has been working for me. Good harp playing throughout, and what a band! Jimmy D Lane and Jimmie Lee Robinson handle the guitar chores, and the rhythm section is Bob Stroger and Sam Lay. They deliver All Star quality playing, my friends. "Wild Child" has made other records since this one, but I encourage you to dig up this disc. It will not disappoint.

Another artist that has been easy on my ears lately is Big George Jackson. He is on Black & Tan Records, and I "discovered" him for myself on their 2003 sampler "Straight Blues 4 U" where Big George Jackson does two songs, "Tell Me" and "Rubbish Truck." Big George leads a tough sounding razor sharp 4 piece band based in Minneapolis. I'm going down later to the local independent cd shop (Decatur CD--& this is a great shop! Check it out for yourself at: ) and pick up Big George Jackson's cd "Southern In My Soul." Highly recommended.

Actually, I have got to get a bunch of shopping done today--I am not ready at all for Christmas. I will say a prayer today asking for safe travel for everybody who has miles to go ..... and I'll write some more here soon.

No comments: