Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The Fabulous Thunderbirds -- Strong Like That

The Fabulous Thunderbirds have been around for over 30 years now, which in musical terms is a very long time; and, in my humble opinion, they have never sounded better than now.

For this new cd, the focus seems to be a mix of blues and old-time soul music--Motown and Stax--and this combination works really well.  The band is just wonderful, tight where they need to be tight, smooth where they need to be smooth, and loose enough to dance to. The key is, of course, Kim Wilson, who shows again on this outing why he must be counted among the very best singers, harp players and band leaders anywhere. The band is Kim Wilson (vocals and harmonica) Johnny Moeller (guitars) Kevin Anker (keyboards) Steve Gomes (bass) and Robb Stupka (drums). Special guests include Aason Funderburgh (lead guitar on "Don't Burn Me") Roosevelt Collier (steel guitar on "I Know (I'm Losing You)") Wes Watkins (drums on "I Know (I'm Losing You)") and Sara Mia (background vocals on "I Know (I'm Losing You)" and Christal Rheams and Caleb Green (background vocals on "Don't Burn Me," "Somebody's Getting It," "Where's Your Love Been" and "I've Never Found a Girl (To Love Me Like You Do)".

Every song here is worth your time, your money, and more importantly, the investment of your ears.
You can buy this cd at all your usual cd outlets.  

Tracklist:
01 – (I Know) I’m Losing You (Feat. Roosevelt Collier & Wes Watkins)
02 – Don’t Burn Me (Feat. Anson Funderburgh)
03 – You’re Gonna Miss Me
04 – Drowning On Dry Land
05 – Smooth
06 – Somebody’s Getting It
07 – Meet Me On The Corner
08 – Where’s Your Love Been
09 – I’ve Never Found A Girl (To Love Me Like You Do)
10 – Strong Like That


No comments: